Racing‎ > ‎

Charlotte Challenge Trophy - 24 Nov 2018

posted 25 Nov 2018, 16:25 by Geoff Head   [ updated 28 Nov 2018, 00:38 ]
Crew: Geoff, Peter, Tunch, Julie, Paul (Wavish).

Marine Forecast: Variable 5 knots. Southerly 10 knots developing around midday, rising to southeast 15 knots about the south coast this afternoon.

Departed Chaffers with Geoff and Tunch at 1006 hrs. Hoisted Main and No.1 LT but with about 5 kts wind we needed to motor most of the way to Evans Bay. Tied up at the Slipway and went to the club to wait for the race sailing instructions.  The course was eventually confirmed as "Start - 1 -Shaol Pile - 8 - 1 - Shoal Pile - 3 - 1 - Shoal Pile - 3 -1 - Finish. Warning Signal at 1250 hrs" All within the confines of Evans Bay which, I was told, is where the best wind was in the harbour today. Ten boats were signed on for the Cruising Division race. 

Peter, Julie and Paul joined us and we cast off to do some practice sailing before the race. Positions: Geoff on helm, Paul on mainsheet, Peter and Julie trimmers, Tunch bowman. Wind came up  a bit to 6-10 kts.

The Start was a line between the start boat "Pania" and the marker in the water. The start countdown was nice and clear with the Pania horn sounding the 5 minute warning and we were able to set our countdown timer perfectly. We started well on a starboard tack (3rd over the Start line) as we tacked upwind toward the first mark. On the first downwind run we hoisted the light-weight spinnaker. We lost a bit of time when we arrived at the top bottom due to us not getting spinnaker and pole down soon enough causing delay in tacking and trimming the Genoa.  (Still learning!). 

We then tacked back south to our second rounding of the top mark.  The next downwind run ro Mark 3, being a shorter one we Goose-winged the Genoa on the pole until hoisted our small red Spinnaker. (Noticed it has a small rip which needs repairing). 

At that stage we were advised that the race had been shortened removing the last loop due to lack of wind. After rounding Mark 3, as we tacked back towards Mark 1, the wind died out altogether and we lost steering for a while and drifted off course somewhat. Finally made it round the mark and back down to the Finish.

After the race back at the club house we learned that four boats were in a protest situation so the provisional results (Halo came 6th on line and 7th on handicap) are pending the outcome of the protest decision.

               
ċ
EBYMBC Spring Series - 24 Nov 2018.gpx
(17k)
Geoff Head,
25 Nov 2018, 16:25